THE CONTRIBUTION OF SCIENCES, ART AND CULTURE
TO THE FUTURE OF SOUTH-EAST EUROPE
A CONFERENCE OF THE ACADEMIES OF SCIENCES AND ARTS
We, the undersigned reppresentatives of the National Academies of Sciences and Arts of Arts of South East Europe and signatories to the Venice Declaration, assembled in Budva, Serbia and Montenegro on October 7-8 2004.
1. Activate the Inter-Academy Council for South East Europe, as agreed by Venice Declaration, made at the first meeting of representatives of South East European Academies on 19 November 2001, and draw up the Statutes therefore, ensuring that the Presidium be rotated each year to a different Academy, and that the Council meet at least once per year.
2. Establish appopriate committees on specific subject areas, to be responsible to the Council and to facilitate its work.
3. Establish a mechanism to ensure better scientific cooperation among South-East European Acade ies, and interaction with international organizations such as the European Science Foundation, ALLEA and UNESCO-ROSTE.
4. Request the European Commission to favorably consider such joint projects of the Academies that may be submitted for EC scientific and other funds.
5. Develop, seek support for, and participate in, programmes, projects and initiatives that address the problem of brain drain in the region.
6. Foste greater contact between the Academies of South East Europe as well as the scintific communities through support to Conferences, meetings and join scintific publications,
In Budva, on Oktober 7, 2004
Inter-Academy Council will establish Ad Hoc Committee which will suggest, by the end of November 2004, the programme of inter-academies activities.
List ofacedemies and signatures
Academy of Sciences of Albanija
Academy of Sciences and Arts of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Kosova Academy of Sciences and Arts
Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Montenegrin Academy of Sciences and Arts
Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Turkish Academy of Sciences